California Weimaraner Education and Rescue (CalWEAR) is based in Southern California. We keep our overhead very low by maintaining a network of foster homes. In other words, we do not operate or lease kennel space. Additionally, everyone who volunteers their time with CalWEAR does so on a 100% volunteer basis. No one collects a salary.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Money. All monetary donations go towards the following: veterinary exams, vaccinations, micro-chipping, food, medicine, and spays/neuters. Administrative expenses (phone, computer, website hosting, paper, printer, etc.) are currently provided and donated to CalWEAR by volunteers at no cost.
Time. We are always looking to expand our core team of volunteers. See below for a few different volunteer “positions” we currently need help with.
- Intake coordinators. Responsibilities include following up on leads about Weimaraners in local area shelters, calling shelters to confirm a dog’s information and scheduling appointments as necessary to have dogs pulled and placed into rescue care.
- Transporters. Responsibilities include driving to local area shelters or foster homes to physically transport Weimaraners from one location to the next. At this time, transporters are asked to cover the gas money needed to execute transport tasks.
- Resource coordinators. Responsibilities include scouring local retail shops such as TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Ross, Goodwill, etc. and online shops such as eBay and Craigslist to source basic necessity items at minimum cost such as crates, blankets, collars, leashes, food bowls, toys, treats, etc. Resource coordinators are also responsible for getting these items to Weimaraners currently in foster homes.
- Photographers. It is true that a picture says a thousand words, and quite possibility the most critical marketing piece for a Weimaraner in our care is the photograph we use to get the word out about it’s availability and need for an adoptive home. Responsibilities include scheduling a photo-shoot with a Weimaraner, taking photos, and providing digital, full-sized images to the rescue for exclusive use in advertising dogs. These photos will never be sold or shared with others. Photographs may also be watermarked with the photographer’s logo for both copyright protection and advertising purposes.
- Writers. It takes a special person to be able to eloquently write a Weimaraner’s story. Responsibilities include crafting a “story” about a particular Weimaraner in a manner that might boost it’s potential for adoption. Writers will have direct access to the rescue website for publishing such stories.
Space. We need individuals with space in their homes to consider fostering a Weimaraner. Since we don’t have kennel space, foster homes are our lifeline. We especially need foster homes with no other dogs in the house so we can bring in dogs from shelters to quarantine them. Many of our shelters have distemper, kennel cough and parvo floating around and dogs who come to us may need to be quarantined for up to 2 weeks before bringing them into the next home environment. CalWEAR provides everything a rescued dog may need: food, crate, bed, blanket, food bowl, collar, leash, toys, and treats. The foster home simply provides the shelter and love.
Please contact us if you think you can help us in any way. Many, many thanks in advance!
– Team CalWEAR