Thank you for your potential interest in adopting a rescue Weimaraner! If you haven’t already, please take a few moments to become familiar with the Weimaraner breed. At a minimum, please review this article about a local Weimaraner lover’s life with Weimaraners.
Please also see our current list of available dogs.
Finally, let’s go over a few bullet items before you proceed to the adoption application:
- We are based in Southern California. We’re happy to adopt out of state (and have placed dogs in OR, WA, AZ, NM, and NV), but please be aware that we don’t ship dogs. Approved adopters must pick-up their dog from it’s current foster home.
- We are a foster based organization. In other words, we don’t have a “facility,” per se, nor do we have operating hours. All of our dogs are tucked into loving foster homes scattered all over Southern California. You are welcome to meet with any of our dogs; we’ll simply put you in touch with the foster to arrange a date and time that works for both of you.
- Dogs are not adopted on a first come first served basis. Once you have been approved to adopt one of our Weimaraners, you have the choice of dogs appropriate for your lifestyle and home environment.
- We do not hold dogs. You cannot pay a deposit to hold a dog. If you see a dog on Facebook or our website that you would like, we cannot guarantee that that particular dog will still be available once your application has been received, reviewed, and approved. Please also note that we will consider Weimaraners that you have expressed an interest in, but know that we may recommend other Weimaraners that better meet your lifestyle, home environment, and family needs. Finding the “right” home for our dogs is top priority.
- Please be open, honest, and thoroughly complete while filling out the online adoption application. Personal information will never be shared with anyone outside of CalWEAR.
- The application process takes time. It can take a few days to a few weeks to complete the adoption process. Please also note that the more specific your adoption criteria (for example: a young male Weimaraner that is child and cat friendly), the longer it may take to fill your request. We make every effort to match the right Weimaraner with your family dynamics and lifestyle and hope to make a successful placement that will result in a lifetime match.
- Adoption fees range from FREE to $800. Fees help defray the cost of veterinary and other associated expenses while Weimaraners are in our care.
- We want every prospective family to be 100% comfortable with their decision to adopt a rescued Weimaraner. If at any time “it’s just not working out,” we are always happy to take the dog back, no questions asked.
Upon completion of this application:
- A CalWEAR volunteer will reach out to you to discuss dogs who may be a good match based on your application
- We’ll set-up a time and place for you to meet with a CalWEAR dog and his/her foster parent; you may take the dog home on a trial basis if the meeting goes well
- A foster agreement must be signed upon taking custody of the dog, but we will not ask for an adoption fee at this time
- This time is meant for you to learn more about the dog while he/she is in your home
- If the dog is a good fit, the foster agreement gets rolled into an adoption agreement and the dog stays with you
- If the dog is NOT a fit, let us know within 30 days and we’ll try again with another dog
Got questions? Please email us at hello [at] CalWEAR [dot] org or ask it at the end of the form below.